My mum has recently got herself a little allotment which I have been roped into helping out with and I thought it would be interesting to do some posts documenting the progression of how it’s coming along. The plot that we got is currently in a complete mess. It contains a shed which was full of rubbish, and randomly a cooker?! The amount of litter on the plot was insane, so the other day me and my mum went to have a bit of a clear up armed with a roll of bin bags.
In total we cleared around 14 bin bags and that was purely litter and didn't contain any of the garden/allotment waste still to clear. It already looks a lot better and the shed is clear of rubbish now. Out of those bin-bags, 7 of them I filled with empty beer cans! I have no idea if these have come from the previous plot owner, but either way it was so good to get them cleared from the plot. There was also a lot of broken glass, empty food packages, plastic, seed packets and all matter of other rubbish.
The aim is to get all the foliage and vegetation cleared so we can start from scratch. We plan to grow vegetables, fruit and even some sunflowers! My boyfriend has made a really nice planter out of an old pallet which we are going to put on the plot and grow sunflowers in.
The plot definitely has potential and I did manage to take a few nice photos of some of the plants that have somehow managed to survive on the plot. There’s even a small pond and I saw a toad and a frog, so it will be nice to keep this! I can’t wait until it starts taking shape but there’s still a lot of work that needs to be done.
I’ll keep you updated with all of the progress!